Facts about Classical KING FM
- Founded in 1948
- Founder: Dorothy Stimson Bullitt
- Classical KING FM is listener-Supported
- Members: 13,500 as of April 2013
- 65% of our budget depends on donations from listeners
- Operations structure: three non-profit entities: Beethoven, Classical Radio and Classical 98.1
- A Board of Directors oversees Classical 98.1 and also hold board positions on the other two governing entities
- Coverage: Greater Puget Sound region, as far south as Olympia and north to Vancouver and Victoria BC, Canada
- Listeners: An average of 300,000 per week
- Underwriting support provides additional revenue, managed through Market Enginuity
General Manager: Jennifer Ridewood
Program & New Media Director: Bryan Lowe
Human Resources: Sabina Koziel
♦ Founded in 1948 by Harriett Bullitt, Classical KING FM 98.1 is among
the longest-running classical radio stations in the country. And since
transitioning in 2011 to a classical public radio station, Classical
KING FM offers more access to music online and on-air, is creating
more local programming, and offering more support to the arts
♦ Today, Classical KING FM 98.1 is consistently ranked as one of the
top 5 classical radio stations in the country.
♦ Since the transition, Classical KING FM has a stronger operating
model, richer programming, and more focus on community
partnerships. Thanks to the commercial-free format, the station plays
an additional three hours of music every day. Longer pieces can be
played without interruption.
♦ Classical KING FM continues to provide great music, all day. And now
KING FM provides more than 80 live and local broadcasts annually,
now that the station is a public radio station.
♦ KING FM continues to be at the forefront of technology, reaching a
global audience with over 80,000 listening sessions each week and
offering 5 online channels for digital listeners as well as a free app
for mobile phones.
♦ KING FM supports over 100 regional arts organizations with on-air,
online, and onsite promotion, from the Seattle Symphony and
Bellevue Art Museum to ACT Theatre and the Seattle Youth
♦ Through the popular Instrument Petting Zoos and the annual Young
Artist Awards competition, KING FM provides support for arts
education and additional educational programming in on-air
programs, such as NW Focus LIVE, Insights, and Exploring Music.
♦ Classical KING FM invites the community to join them by becoming
supporting members, solidifying our public radio operating model,
and bringing the richness of classical music to an expanding
audience in our region.